Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pursuit of Cobra Steel Brigade

The vintage mail away offer of a personalized G.I. Joe gets a great update for the Pursuit of Cobra line. The Steel Brigade trooper was originally a combination of assorted Joe parts with a new head sculpt. No exception here. I don't think that there is anything new on this figure.
But Hasbro has done a great job in recreating the Steel Brigade trooper from an assortment of various sources.


I haven't done a side by side comparison, but I believe that the body of the Steel Brigade trooper matches the exact body of the Cobra Shock Trooper, including the web gear. The only changes, of course, are the colors. But it works. The Shock Trooper body is a great base for potentially any new character with only minor changes needed.


The Steel Brigade trooper is meant to be a "generic" soldier, sort of a G.I. Joe recruit. He is almost a full fledged G.I. Joe, but not quite. They can also act as support troops for the G.I. Joe team.


The figure comes equipped with a wide assortment of gear. Looks like a SMAW with a back pack of removable, lose-able shells. The widely used SCAR rifle, an M4A1 (?), and a heavy machine gun w/ tripod wrap up the firearms. He also comes with another back pack and the Steel Brigade helmet.




The figure also uses the Beach Head head sculpt used with both the Resolute and Pursuit of Cobra versions, plus the collar used with both Resolute Beach Head and Stalker.



I'm thrilled with Hasbro's execution with this character. Unfortunately, the guy is generic and therefore may become G.I. Joe cannon fodder. I do like the concept and definitely need a few more of these guys to create a little squad of these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment