Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cobra Flight Pods aka Trouble Bubbles

I may be the last 10yr old on Earth to get one of these. Stands to reason, I'm 46.

So, let's get into the Trouble Bubble. The Flight Pod, a flying machine only a cruel mother could love, was highly influenced by Cobra Commander. Look at his touches....big,ungainly commander replica windscreen...This thing is like flying thru the air with a drag chute open.
On mine, the Target exclusive from Ross, (Thanx Tom!!!!!) the screen is red. clearly a nod to protecting from red L A S E R S......(in my mind, when I type the word "laser" I hear Dr.Evils voice saying L A S E R. Very clear, what you don't?)
But let's look closer. no protection for the pilot. hell he doesn't even get a foot rest. He's zooming along (more later) and his feet are hanging down, so his legs go numb because the seat cuts off the circulation. Distracting....
flex tubing or conduit exposed to , what is it, a L A S E R (did it again) cannon? That begs for a tree limb or something to interfere and disable the gun.
Did I say ZOOMING? ok I'll bite. HOW? At least the Ghost Hawks had pivoting engines.
The bubbles zoom straight up and more likely straight back down. Well, actually they would kinda fall over, maybe spin around like Curly from the 3 Stooges , maybe they strafe in a circle at ground level?
I see the fins on the engine pods, thrust vectoring? In a left or right direction...but fore and aft? Maybe the big helmet acts as a sail when the wind pushes it back? Then, what a bomb load! or are those missiles? Hope it doesn't weigh down the bubble TOO much..

I see these things as scouts....until you realize they look like clowns in their red "star fleet kill me" uniforms. EDIT: Seems the box puts THESE pods in action in "a large asian city" so I figure, lots of neon lights, colored bill boards, etc, so the cammo kinda works...
So now, they are more like giant red clay target pigeons....Good thing they are cheap (in Cobra scale) to make. Bet the learning curve to fly is STEEP.

But, as a 10yr old, these things are GREAT!!! I can see zooming em around blastin everything in sight (whether it needs blasting or not)!!! Kinda like the Speeder bikes in Empire Strikes Back.
I have 2 and I could use 2 more.

Guest Review: the Mom here at the toy farm, LOVES the "Trouble pods, or Flight Bubbles or what ever they're called"...she says the bright red cammo and the red domes, are just the ticket to surviving the low level hell that is a green (well, green-ish) carpet. For comparison, she chucked a Beach head and a Neo-viper to the floor and said "SEE?" (it took 10 minutes to find the mp5 Beachhead had carried....)
So thanks again Tom!!!! I now may get at least 2 more to fill my Cobra hanger bay.But the Vipers are getting a repaint. Say, is it me or do they look like Snake eyes?

No comments:

Post a Comment